Monday, October 29, 2007

the one where I'm a native chieftan

This was one of those dreams, where you know you are you, but you are not the you, you are here in this reality.

In this one, I'm an Indian, or rather, more correctly a Native. A Native of where, I don't really know, although from the geology of the dream I'd venture it was somewhere in the mid-Atlantic (or possibly Pacific) Coast of North America. The terrain was rocky with a lot of coniferous forest, and we were situated on a body of water... I'd say something like a small inland bay or sheltered cove. I can distinctly recall that there was tidal action, but the water was not cold, so I can't say that we were far north. Conversely the water was very clear, but not 'tropical clear', rather it was cold clear... the type of clear because the water is not warm enough to support a heavy algae population. By "we" I mean myself and the others in not only my tribe, but neighbouring tribes as well.

Our tribe lives a type of cave complex. Because we are an older more established tribe we occupy it outright, and no other tribe challenges us for that right. There is a main cave chamber which is lit by many fires, and off to 2 ends are smaller chambers populated by smaller family sub-groups of anywhere from two to 8 people. I occupy a chamber that has 2 entrances, one to the main chamber and another to the outside where I can quickly access the beach, and yet it is sheltered enough to require fire light as well.

Other tribes live near the same coastal area as we, but on the other side of the body of water. Others still further inland. They comprise various shelter types, from long houses and domed wigwams inland, to more of a lean-to shelter type near cliffs at others.

There does not appear to be much interaction between tribes, although helpful if needed. And there is a sense of ritual exchange of both male and female adolescent members, to ensure that relations remain friendly - you would not attack a village containing your own tribesmen.

- - -

There is a seemingly fast passage of time, in that I can recall the change of seasons from Spring to Summer to Autumn and then impending onset of Winter. The majority of the dream though was in the latter two seasons.

In the early half of the dream there is unrest and worry over who is to become the new Chief of our tribe. I cannot recall the fate of the last Chief, however I don't think it was actually covered in the dream itself. There was an obvious sense of loss, and there was some sadness but nothing overtly dreadful as if he were killed on purpose either by human or animal attack. In the end, I become the Chief. Not that I feel particularly deserving of the position, and indeed there is some trepidation from myself, and from some of the tribe as well. There is, as well some jealousy from some of the other male members of the tribe, but they refuse to challenge me for my place.

A large part of the reason I became the Chief is because of those aware of my mystical abilities. I cannot recall all that I was able to do, but I could control water; there was one fragment where I am walking out on the beach as the tide is coming in. As I walk (I can recall clearly looking down at my feet as I walked) that I could will the low waves to not touch me but rather the water would roll on around me. This caused both fear as well as awe from the others.

Another fragment I can recall is a moment when I am returning from visiting one of the nearby tribes, (on the other side of the bay/inlet) as I walk through the water that while at high tide, never comes past my waist when it should be well over my head - as if I have willed the tide down where I am. As well, there is a common fear that some beast in the water can harm people, but as I walk through the water any animals near me; fish, crabs, jellyfish,etc all stay about a meter away from me. As I exit the water on our beach, everyone in the tribe is in awe that I've made the impossible trip across the water. This reassures the tribe that I cannot be easily harmed and as an extension of that I can protect the tribe.

I cannot recall any other wise-man or spiritual figure in the tribe. It seems that I have that as a dual role along with being the Chief.

- - -

As Winter draws closer, there is unrest in the tribe that we will not have enough food stores. I call a meeting of the tribe to ensure them I will not allow anyone to starve and that we need not migrate like the other tribes in the area are doing.

As I prepare for the tribal council my spouse informs me that someone has gone into my private cave area and taken a gold talisman that I should be wearing for the meeting. It's of no particular design as I recall but rather seemed to be a gold nugget or some such. About 6-8 cms in length and 2-3 cms wide. This is not an item of a chiefly nature, rather a spiritual one that I wear to help focus my thoughts (including those of my othernatrural powers)

Just moments before the council convenes the talisman is found and I must banish the thief. I have to make an example of the individual so as to assert not only my dominance but too, to ensure that the tribe feels that my placement was valid. To everyone's amazement the banishment is not only from our tribe and our lands but seemingly from mother earth as the person fades until disappeared. It is now clear, unquestionable that I am Chief and they will listen to me.

- - -

Even as other tribes continue their seasonal migration, and wonder why we are not leaving. I thank them for their concern and offer my blessings to the other tribal Chiefs and Chieftesses that they may freely pass through our territory and that we wish them safe passage and look forward to seeing them return in the Spring as we look too for the return of many migrating bird and animal alike.

Our food stores are increasing as if from thin air... although I know there is more at work including honouring many woodland and sea spirits to aid us through the cold months. It is also with much meditation and honouring to the many spirits of Land, Sea and Air that this is so.


It is at about this time as the fist snow flakes begin to fall, that I wake up to the alarm. - I hate alarm clocks...

---

Added notes:

Wed. Oct 31st 2007.

Upon reflection I seem to feel as though my spouse is actually my old roommate in Halifax, Stefani Woods. I should send her an email with all this, she what she thinks.

No comments: